Happy 1st Birthday, My Baby Girl Nala

I can hardly believe it’s been 10 months since we brought you home in that cardboard box….
IMG_0909

You cried for your mommy  and your sibling pups.  You were leaving the Island for the first time.
IMG_0423
IMG_0983
I kept a journal of all your early days, documenting when you first took the food we offered, when you first learned sit, stay, come (within 2 days!), and your first snow day.  You had lots of love, everyone from my dear friends Sarah and Alix, and my hubby’s parents.  Your smudgy black eyes and velvety ears made us coo and aw; your mischievous sense of humour made us keel over with laughter.  We captured some of your beauty and light-heartedness in this photoshoot Joey Armstrong did for you at four months.
6327-nala-web
6310-nala-web
9479-nala-web
You caused us countless sleepless nights.  There were moments we wanted to tear our hair out, or yours (like when you refused to go for walks or step on wet grass).  We didn’t know when we would ever sleep through the night again.  You had a knack for hurting yourself (broken teeth, sprained paw, loose stitches, and your poor sensitive tummy).

Slowly, you were making baby steps towards being a proper dog.  You learned how to be a part of this household and general etiquette when it came to interacting with members of the human species, big and small.  You learned to love children, my niece Athena and nephews Aedan, Kenyon, and Ethan.  You’re still figuring the manners part out when it comes to your own canine kind although you’ve made some wonderful doggie friends: Harley and Oscar the Golden Retrievers; your cousin Kate the Olde English Bulldog; Bauer the Duck Toller; Ridgeback brothers Bomber and Roper; and Willow the Boxer.  You can’t wait to meet your other cousin Benson the Boston in about a month’s time.
IMG_1805

IMG_1598
This week, you turn a milestone birthday of ONE.  You’ve learned to swim, climb, fetch, and passed basic obedience with flying colours (In front of me anyways.  In front of a trainer you tend to make a fool out of me).  We went surfing in Tofino together, and drove up to Auntie Melissa’s farm up north where you romped with the big boys Logan and Riley.
IMG_1622

HAPPY BIRTHDAY MY BEAUTIFUL PUPPY NALA!!!  We are so blessed to have you in our lives.  As any Rhodesian Ridgeback owner knows, we humans don’t “own” these dogs.  If anything, they own us, and at best, it’s a friendship and partnership, on equal ground.
6702-nala-web

May we have many more years together.

Photo Credits: Joey Armstrong, Melissa.

About these ads
Comments
20 Responses to “Happy 1st Birthday, My Baby Girl Nala”
  1. Camille says:

aww, happy birthday Nala! Lovely post, Liv. She’s such a beautiful girl and sooo worth all the effort!

2. Nada says:

she’s so beautiful! loved the post!! she’s so lucky to have you guys as her ‘owners’

Happy birthday Nala!

3. Stevie says:

Happy Birthday Nala!! Woof woof, says Kiki!!!

4. MizzJ says:

Aww happy birthday Nala! She looks like such a cutie, even when she has a cast on *ouch*

5. These are the sweetest pictures of Nala! My favorite shots are when she is wearing that cast or when you are lying next to her on the beach?!

xoxo,
    Chic ‘n Cheap Living

6. Leonie says:

Aw such a sweet post! Nala is so beautiful! My grandfather used to have a Rhodesian Ridgeback :-)

All smiles at Kalamalka Lake

7. sololisa says:

Happy birthday Nala!

8. Thanks everyone for your lovely birthday wishes for Nala! Woof woof.

9. Happy, happy birthday to Nala! There’s nothing I love more in this world than dogs and she looks like a sweetie! SO CUTE!!!

10. kelly says:

Happiest of birthdays Nala! I hope to meet you one day and shower you with hugs :D

11. Teresa says:

OMG…it’s been a year now? Wow time sure flies! She’s so beautiful! Happy 1 year! :)

12. savvy gal says:

Ah…. she is sooo adorable. Happy 1st and many more to come.

13. Elisse says:

What a beautiful way to honor Nala’s birthday!!! Your words are so heart-felt :)

14. Lily says:

Happy 1st birthday, you must be so proud!!!

15. Haute World says:

Happy birthday to Nala! Can’t believe how big she’s gotten. I remember when you first posted pics of her on your blog. Really want a dog too, but I honestly don’t know what to do with him/her during the day… sigh. That pic with the broken paw is heartbreaking by the way!

16. OMG I wish you could’ve just been witness to my audible cooing…I am the biggest dog person you could ever meet and I kind of just lost it over these pics. The puppy pictures are SO cute, what a beautiful doggy! I miss the days when my Bailey was a puppy, he’s so old now (TWELVE years old, can’t believe it!) but still brings so much to my life everyday. Dogs are so special. Give your guy a little birthday pat on the head for me :)

Alexandra xo

17. Kristy Hayter says:

Liv I just stumbled on your fantastic blog thru hummingbird604. Your dog is so sweet!

We were in high school together, I was a pretend cranky punk with puffy hair. I work doing communication/fundraising for Covenant House. Anyway just had to comment and say congratulations on an awesome blog!

Trackbacks
Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] Happy 1st Birthday, My Baby Girl [...]